Wednesday, October 26, 2005

 

Jean's story

Hi my name is Jean
I came to Collinsville in 1946 from a small mining town Ogmore. We were housed in huts on Red Hill, no one owned a car and the roads were all dirt. Everybody in the town at that time worked in the mines, my husband went to the Scottville mine, so eventually we were able to shift to Scottville to live in a proper house. At that time you had to build your own homes and everybody pitched in and helped one another, and that is how the houses got built in Scottville, those were the good days. Here in Collinsville/Scottville there is a tradition of having a Miners ‘Christmas Tree’ were all the children whom parents worked in the mines would receive a gift, a bag of lollies and an ice-cream at Christmas. This was first started by myself and the ladies and men in Scottville, so the kids could have something to look forward to. My how things have changed I am now at the Telecentre learning how to use computers with all the other Collinsville seniors. We all have so many memories to share. I love learning about this technology although it is sometimes confusing to an 80 year old, but all in good time. I am thank-full for the staff who help and are always patient.
Jean

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?